Town of Norwood
Title: Fire Chief – Requisition #2017-024
Department: Norwood Fire Department
Location: 135-137 Nahatan Street, Norwood MA
Salary: Grade M18, FY18 base range $2,051.74 – $2,522.91/weekly + excellent benefits
By Town Charter, the General Manager is the appointing authority for this position.
Strict adherence to the application requirements and procedures is expected.
The Town of Norwood is located in Eastern Massachusetts, 14 miles south of Boston, 30 miles north of Providence, RI and 205 miles from New York City. Norwood was incorporated as a town in 1872 and has approximately 29,000 residents. The land area of Norwood is approximately 10 square miles with a population density of approximately 2,700 per square mile. Norwood has a representative town meeting form of government with a total approximate budget of $185 million.
The Norwood Fire Department provides Fire, Rescue and Emergency Medical Services with a 70 member staff and an approximate total annual budget of $6.7 million.
General Summary: The purpose of this position is to plan, organize, and direct the operations of the Norwood Fire Department, its staff, and equipment in the protection of life and property, in the prevention and extinguishing of fires, and in the safe handling of hazardous materials; all other related work as required. Performs complex and highly responsible duties requiring a high level of initiative and independent judgment. Works under the direction of the General Manager. Assumes responsibility for developing and achieving the department goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees the general operations of the Fire Department, delegating supervision of daily operations to the Deputy Chief. Serves as Incident Commander at all major emergencies. Develops and recommends to the General Manager major department policies; implements such plans and policies upon approval; assesses their effectiveness and recommends modifications as required.
- Oversees fire prevention and safety education activities within the town. Enforces Massachusetts General Laws, federal and state regulations, and town bylaws
- Interacts with federal and state officials to represent the interests of the town and the department. Represents the department within the town government decision-making processes.
- Develops, recommends, and defends department budget requests; authorizes and expends funds consistent with town policies and procedures; monitors budgets to ensure compliance with approved levels and takes corrective actions as required.
- Performs as a member of the management negotiations committee for fire department bargaining unit negotiations.
- Performs related work as required and assigned by the General Manager or as noted in the official position description.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in fire science or related field; and a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in fire/rescue, emergency management, emergency medical services, and management; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Thorough knowledge of the current practices and principles of fire service management and emergency medical service response in a municipal setting. Extensive knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations relating to fire protection.
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of emergency medical response functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with town officials, subordinates, the general public and other law enforcement officials.
- Ability to work in a high stress environment on a regular basis. Ability to remain calm, concentrate and perform all responsibilities in a competent manner at all times.
- Good managerial and organizational skills and excellent fiscal skills required. Knowledge of labor law and collective bargaining.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug screen, psychological exam, extensive background check, interview and applicant selection process.
This posting is not meant to be inclusive of all job duties or qualification requirements. Complete job description is available in the Human Resources Department.
Candidates meeting the qualifications and expectations as noted above may submit a cover letter, resume and any other relevant materials to the address below by Friday, September 8, 2017. Please reference Requisition #2017-024 on all materials:
Michelle Pizzi, Director of Human Resources, Town of Norwood
The Town of Norwood is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V and does not discriminate based on race, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual preference or any other legally protected status.